Thursday, March 5, 2015

True Democracy & Boomerz by pd lyons

See I was taught that democracy takes courage. The courage to allow the rights of the other. Not only their right to exist but their rights of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That it takes democratic courage to allow the other a voice, a choice, a privacy, an equality.

The belief that majority rules is erroneous with regards  to true democracy. Otherwise everything depends on the personal belief of the many. This is only might makes right, this is not democracy. Democracy is the courage of all to allow the human and civil rights of all.

The question we should be asking people is – do you really want to live in a country where the your rights and the rights of others may justifiably be revoked every time the majority demographic shifts?

Today when I look at my country that’s what I  see. Rather than the nurturing of courage, it seems to perpetuate the right to bully, the right to instill fear, the right to make money at all costs, the right of might – with no regard for the amount of misery, tragedy, or  instability it causes  its own citizens or the rest of world.

It has always taken extreme courage to be democratic. It still does.


 
DSC_9146


Boomerz
I live only in memory
The day to day does not inspire me
I only want to sit here think about what used to be.
Here only in my own home.
 Locked doors, paid taxes, insurance policies, protect me.
TV,  petrol chemicals, nourish me.
People not like me outrage me.


DSC_8611
Boomerz – from  Caribu & Sister Stones
ISBN:     9781905425907
Published by Lapwing Belfast

Photos by pd lyons

No comments:

Post a Comment